Medical research has proven that chronic sleep deprivation can create many health issues and during deep sleep, recent brain studies are finding that the brain has the ability to clear out dangerous toxins. Though consistent exercise and diet is important, getting a good nights sleep is more essential in protecting brain health than we may realize. Sleep has always been an issue for me; though clearing my mind with a good book most nights and a natural supplement helps me maintain a deeper sleep cycle.
Daylight Saving Time began this week which means earlier sunsets and shorter afternoons. With the extended night-time hours – many feel more fatigued than usual. As we settle into the “fall back” routine, our sleep-wake cycle becomes disturbed, with people reporting excessive daytime sleepiness, restless nights, and frequent nighttime awakenings.
Dr. Michael Murray, one of the world’s leading authorities on natural medicine has some great tips regarding how to reset our biological clock and combat the malaise and other challenges associated with the time change. He also recommends natural supplements as they could help ease symptoms (iHerb, the beloved online retailer that specializes in natural wellness products is a great source for natural supplements). Some of his tips include:
· Practice good sleep hygiene by developing a regular nightly routine that might involve taking a warm shower or bath, reading a book and doing light stretches. Consider ear plugs and/or a sleep mask to block out light and noise as much as possible and limit daytime naps to no more than 30 minutes
· Be active during the day – regular exercise is particularly important
· Stabilize blood sugar by avoiding foods that case a rapid rise in bluff sugar levels
· Clear your mind – practice letting go of worry, plain, fear of future circumstances and control
· Natural supplements like Methylcobalamin and Melatonin can dramatically improve quality of life in people with a disturbed sleep-wake cycle. Just one month of methylcobalamin (a form of Vitamin B12) in the morning and melatonin at bedtime can be very effective in resetting your biorhythm
On iHerb, consumers can browse over 30,000 health and wellness products in a variety of categories. For more information, visit www.iherb.com